Buddy Roemer, a former Louisiana governor and likely Republican presidential candidate, clarified on Thursday night that while he champions state’s rights, even on marriage, he remains committed to and supportive of the Defense of Marriage Act.
In an email to The Huffington Post, Roemer took umbrage with the write-up of an earlier interview he had done with the website.
“The issue of gay marriage is one on which I am clear,” Roemer wrote. “As I said in the interview, I am a traditionalist on this issue as is my Methodist Church. A marriage is between a man and a woman. Gays will not be slandered by me or my church, but gay marriage is not an option.”
“The Defense of Marriage Act, with which I agree, prohibits the Federal Government from recognizing any marriage not between a man and a woman,” he went on. “Each state has the right to set these boundaries within its state, and I would stand with the traditionalists in my state and prohibit gay marriage.”
More on the story here Buddy Roemer Clarifies Position On Gay Marriage, Reaffirms Support For DOMA
No comments:
Post a Comment