2 Sept 2012

Stevie Says Sorry

The veteran blind singer Stevie Wonder had to issue a rapid apology this week after saying  he thought gays were confused!  The star made the derogatory remarks in a deep and wide ranging interview with the UK’s Guardian newspaper in which he  was asked for his views on rapper Frank Ocean's supposed coming out in July on his tumblr blog.
“I think honestly, some people who think they're gay, they're confused. People can misconstrue closeness for love. People can feel connected, they bond. I'm not saying all [gay people are confused]. Some people have a desire to be with the same sex. But that's them.” Wonder said, which has caused much consternation the media and anger especially from numerous gay media sites and equality activists.
The letter from Ocean that he published back in July on his Tumblr blog didn’t seem very confused to me, romantic and beautiful yet, confused, err nope!
“4 summers ago, I met somebody. I was 19 years old. He was too. We spent that summer, and the summer after, together. Everyday almost. And on the days we were together, time would glide. Most of the day I’d see him, and his smile. I’d hear his conversation and his silence…until it was time to sleep. Sleep I would often share with him. By the time I realized I was in love, it was malignant. It was hopeless. There was no escaping, no negotiating with the feeling. No choice. It was my first love, it changed my life.”
Wonder issued a hasty apology to anyone who might have misunderstood his comments  “I’m sorry that my words about anyone feeling confused about their love were misunderstood. No one has been a greater advocate for the power of love in this world than I; both in my life and in my music. “Clearly, love is love, between a man and a woman, a woman and a man, a woman and a woman and a man and a man. What I’m not confused about is the world needing much more love, no hate, no prejudice, no bigotry and more unity, peace and understanding. Period.”    

No comments: