David Norris launches bid to become Ireland's first gay president
Yesterday Irish senator David Norris launched his bid to become the first gay president of Ireland.
David Norris, is a well known gay rights activist in Ireland as well as an independent politician. He’s stood as a member of the Irish Senate for just over 24 years.
On TV news yesterday, he told reporters "I don’t have a party machine. At the moment, I am an independent. This, I believe, is a plus."
Many people in Ireland think he is a very serious contender for the position. In order to run Mr Norris will require either the nomination of four county councils or the nomination of twenty Irish National Parliament members. Either is perhaps not an easy target for most independents.
"I don't see myself as a gay president, I see myself as a president who happens to be gay," he told reporters yesterday, adding "All I’m asking for is an opportunity to put myself before the people," the 66-year-old added. "I am today announcing my application for the job of President."
It’s believed that Mr Norris, as an independent will have to fund and finance his political run himself. claims that if he were to succeed Mary McAleese - who was elected unchallenged in 2004 - he would be a 'deeply serious' president. "But that doesn't mean there's going to be no fun," he added.
It’s a time, with deep financial hardships and a savagely bad economy, Ireland needs a strong and powerful leader, forcing a way forward. Many see Norris as Irelands best hope for a more prosperous and equal Ireland
Senator David Norris launches bid to become Ireland's first gay president - PinkPaper.com
No comments:
Post a Comment