30 Dec 2010

Rupert Everett: My career tanked after I came out

Red Carpets and Other Banana Skins: The AutobiographyHot on the heels of Richard Chamberlain advising gay actors to  keep in that closet,  up pops Rupert Everett  and restates his claim that Hollywood stopped hiring him after he came out.
In an conflab on  BBC's Radio 4,    the 51-year-old British actor -  (yep  51!  )   says that his once hot career was almost  killed completely after he went public with his homosexuality 20 years ago.
"I just never got a job there [in Hollywood], and I never got a job here, after [coming out]," he says. "I did a couple of films, I was very lucky at the beginning of my career... and then, I never had another job here for ten years probably and I moved to Europe."  He said during the interview.  


Calling Hollywood "an extremely conservative world" that "pretends to be a liberal world," Everett says the industry looks after heterosexual stars, even if their films are bad for box office - and he means you, Jennifer Aniston.
"There are lots of women and lots of men in the business that the powers that be decide are the right people and they'll stand with them for quite a long time," he explains.
"Like Jennifer Aniston will just have one too many total flops. But she's still a member of that club. And she will still manage to, like a star forming in the universe, a whole lot of things will swirl around and suddenly solidify into yet another vital tasteless rom-com, a little glitter next to the Crab Nebula."

JS

The Marquee Blog - CNN.com Blogs

No comments: