Gayle King, the lovely best friend of the true queen of the chat show, Oprah Winfrey has again stated that they are not lovers, just friends.
Gayle, confirmed that the rumours have angered her in an interview with USA Today, but more so the implication that she and Winfrey would attempt to hide their sexuality.
"It used to bother me, and now I say, 'OK, if people believe it, there's nothing we can do to change their minds'," she said.
"Oprah has been so outspoken and I have about my dating life, my desire to have a significant other, that it's just silly that we would deny or hide that because it implies something is wrong… That's what bothers me more than anything. There's nothing wrong."
Oprah Winfrey herself dismissed suggestions of a hot and passionate lesbian relationship earlier this year in an interview with US veteran reporter Barbara Walters. In the ABC special Oprah: The Next Chapter, she said that rumours that King is anything other than a close friend are frustrating.
Winfrey explained: "I'm not lesbian... I'm not even kind of lesbian. And the reason it irritates me is because it means that somebody must think I'm lying.
"That's number one. Number two... why would you want to hide it [if it was true]? That's not the way I run my life."
Oprah, whose final chat show season is coming to an end revealed that King's friendship has been a very significant part of her life and development.
"She is the mother I never had, she is the sister everybody would want. She is the friend that everybody deserves," Winfrey emotionally told Walters.
Recently another talkshow host and popular gay rights commentator, Rosie O'Donnell also jumped into the spotlight on the subject and confirmed that Oprah Winfrey is not gay.
Rosie, who is openly lesbian. told ABC News that she trusts that Winfrey has always been honest about her life and would have no reason to lie about her sexualit -
"I think that she's always told the truth so why people wouldn't believe her, you know, I don't know," she said, "Anything that she says, I believe is the truth... She's not a faker in any way."
Rosie continued: "I thought she was really great on that road trip she did with Gayle when they were going into the camper and Gayle said, 'Let's spice up those lesbian rumours'.
O'Donnell went on to say that she believes perhaps the public is not used to seeing such a close female friendship highlighted in the media. "People don't really understand or don't have the privilege of seeing a friendship between two women that is that deep. I have the same best friend that I've had since I was 3. I know the intensity of that relationship and what it feels like - to have someone you can depend on no matter what," she explained.
"So, I get it. And I don't think she was defending it as much as just answering all the speculation. She didn't seem defensive to me. If anything, it's just insulting to her integrity that people would consider that she was lying."
Oprah has been so open, so supportive of gay rights, of the fight for equality over the years, it’s perhaps unthinkable that she would continue to hide her sexuality, if she were a lesbian. I’m sure she’s jump out of that closet with the biggest fanfare possible.
JS
No comments:
Post a Comment